learning the ropes

things I made at ITP and after: sketches, prototypes, and other documentation

Friday, December 7, 2007

Finishing Touches

No, it’s not an electric prod for a miniature cow… it’s a work around for a vexing problem: how do I keep the optical encoder wheel securely attached to the shaft. Neither Elmer’s white glue nor hot glue were keeping the part attached to the paper sleeve, so I turned to one of my other favorite building materials: wire. I created two wire prongs to put pressure on the encoder wheel so it would stay in place.

IMG_8817 IMG_8818 IMG_8820 IMG_8821

Another challenge — I was a bit careless when I cut out a few of the layers for the pulley housing. As a result, it doesn’t sit flat and it causes the shaft to bind up when the assembly is clamped down. After struggling with the thought of completely rebuilding, I realized that I could make a flexible joint to allow some play in the mechanism. Thank you, hot glue!

IMG_8822 IMG_8824 IMG_8826

posted by Michael at 1:56 pm  

No Comments »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a comment

Powered by WordPress