learning the ropes

things I made at ITP and after: sketches, prototypes, and other documentation

Monday, October 22, 2007

Frame Mounting System Attempt #1

After the frame was open, I started trying ideas for the mounting system in cardboard. Here are the sketches I started with:

sketch1.bmp sketch2.bmp

I had in my mind that I would try to mock up a u-channel mounting system using cardboard. I visited McMaster-Carr’s website to learn more about u-channel. Suddenly, the project becomes more of an engineering project and less of a creative project. I was taking measurements and drafting things in Visio to try to get them to fit on paper before I built anything.

frame 001 frame 003

When I met with Wendy again, we talked about this tendency to invest to heavily too early in a process. She wanted me to try again — this time not focusing on duplicating ready-made materials in cardboard, but trying to piece something together in about two hours that will allow us to make some observations. Wendy is not even really sure what will happen when two frames are next to each other, so the quicker I can put this together, the quicker she’ll know if it is worth pursuing further.

posted by Michael at 11:39 pm  

No Comments »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a comment

Powered by WordPress